Are you interested in trying martial arts? It can be a great hobby that provides physical health and mental clarity. In fact, men and women have been training in a variety of martial arts for adults.
This article will run you through everything you need to know about martial arts and how it can benefit you.
What Is It?
Martial arts found their historical roots in East Asia and were introduced to the west in the 20th century. This is a form of combat training that has various forms, either armed or unarmed combat.
The training for martial arts involves discipline in improving one’s awareness, strength, and skills.
Common Forms of Martial Arts
Some common popular styles of martial arts include:
- Kung Fu: This is a Chinese martial art that focuses on flow and harnessing one’s qi or life energy.
- Karate: This is a Japanese technique that uses punches, kicks, and forms.
- Judo: This is a relatively new Japanese martial art that aims to physically throw an opponent to the ground.
- Jiu-Jitsu: This is a Japanese martial art that aims to rely on the opponent’s energy to disarm an enemy without using a formal weapon.
- Tae Kwon Do: This is a martial art from Korea that focuses on self-defense.
- Mixed Martial Arts: This combines martial arts and non-martial arts combat strategies.
The Benefits of Martial Arts Training
Other than promoting discipline and skill, martial arts training can provide various benefits such as:
- Self-Confidence: Accomplishing goals in martial arts training can boost your discipline and provide positive encouragement. It can help you further your belief in yourself and your ability to accomplish the goals you set out to do.
- Self-Defense Training: Instead of running on instinct, martial arts training provides you with the skills to strategize your kicks and punches. You become confident in your ability to throw life-saving punches and techniques to protect you in the face of danger.
- Stress Relief: The heightened self-awareness and control of breathing practiced in martial arts allow for an escape from stress. You are focused on the present task instead of being constantly distracted by stressors. You are also able to reduce frustration, tension, and anxiety through vocalization and punches during classes.
- Total Body Workout: Martial arts training provides complete body aerobic training as you use the entire body. In turn, this also improves your strength, balance, flexibility, and stamina.
- Improved Heart Health: Martial arts training is an excellent form of intense cardiovascular workout which improves cardiovascular health. The added high-intensity training also improves fitness and lowers blood pressure.
- Weight Loss: The intense physical movements of martial arts training is great for burning calories. An hour of moderate martial arts training can burn up to 500 calories and help you crave less food.
- Improved Mood: Exercise has been known to boost one’s mood as it releases endorphins naturally. You can enjoy an improved mental state for up to four hours after training.
Martial arts training is a great hobby that can provide you with various physical and mental health benefits. There are also a variety of styles for you to try out, so there’s something for everyone, no matter their skill level.
Are you looking for mixed martial arts programs in New York? We at Pride Martial Arts Academy offer various MMA programs for both children and adults. Head on to our website to learn more!